Sharing my photographic enthusiasm

Saturday, November 22, 2014


  • It was hard to make a choice at first between this and the Olympus OMD EM1 but I do not regret this at all, this camera blows things away. The EM1 is an awesome camera,but I prefer the A7.
  • This sensor, whew, it's gigantic, and there is no mirror, so it stays naked, starring at you as soon as you remove the lens.

  • It definitely feels heavier than any of the NEX cameras
  • I love the look of it.
  • At lower ISO's its crazy how you do not see digital noises in the raw files. the images are neat.
  • I don't like the position of the shutter button, but it's something Ill get used to.

  • The Electronic viewfinder is superb, It's big, bright, and really feels like a Optical viewfinder! Sometimes I even forget that it's electronic.
  • I also love the plethora of customizable button. of course there is  C1, C2 and C3 which I personally set to ..... but there's also the AF/MF and the AEL button that you can customize at will.

  • The FN button too. I rarely have to go to the menu with this camera. That was not the case with my beloved Nex F3
  • Speaking of menu, there is no NEX menu here, SONY finally listened and redesigned the whole thing, the menu is pretty straightforward.
  • That shutter is kinda loud, but guess what!? I luv it, sounds like a camera to me, a good camera, and I aint doing no James Bond shit, so I dont need it to be silent.

  • The dynamic range on this camera is insane. Seriously I used to shoot a lot of HDR when I was using an APSC sensor. With this sensor, I'll still shoot HDR's but not as many, because its so easy to boost up the shadows in post processing and get a negligeable amount of noise in those areas.
  • Speaking of HDR,I like the bracketing option on the camera (more on that later or on another post) 
  • The screen is tiltable to some extent, and I cant complain about its resolution.
  • I've also noticed that the camera tend to give warm colors on auto white balance! I'm primarily a raw shooter so I dont mind that, plus warm images are always easier on the eyes.
  • Eyes!!! Speaking of eyes, there's this feature called EYE AF where the camera focuses on the subject eyes when shooting portrait! It's crazy, I absolutely love that feature and uses very often
  • The Autofocus is hybrid (contrast with some phase points) and is fast enough for me. Provided I dont shoot sport, actions with very fast moving objects. I think if you really want the fastest AF on a mirrorless body, you should look elsewhere (the sony A6000 is acclaimed for that, the Olympus OMD EM1 too). 
  • It's a joy to use manual focus with the A7; come on, you got focus peaking; and manual focus assist where the camera zooms in on a the image, you can change the position of that point.
  • I with it had IBIS, as I'm typing this I know that the A7m2 has been announced with a 5 axis stabilization...well thats great. I wish the A7 had it, but... 
  • Coming from an APSC sensor, I'm amazed by the low light capability of this camera. Even at high ISOs, the noise aren't like random digital noise patterns, it looks like film grain and it's gorgeous. For instance, I shot the photo below at ISO 6400, converted the raw to a JPEG, with no noise reduction applied.
Sony A7/ ZA 55 1.8/ISO 6400/ No noise reduction/no post processing

You can't feel the power of such a camera unless you put some great glass on it. I do own a couple e mount lens, but I choose to buy the rather expensive zeiss 55mm  1.8. once you mount it on the A7, you forget about eveything else. Shots (all at 1.8):






More shots coming, along with a full review of that marvelous lens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Disclaimer

All content except noted photos copyright © HnRM, Roger Marc All rights reserved. PLEASE ASK PERMISSION BEFORE RE-PRINTING OR RE-POSTING CONTENT. FAIR USE QUOTATIONS AND LINKS DO NO REQUIRE PRIOR CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. Any images or videos not listed as mine are copyright to their respective owners and were used under creative common license or fair use standards. © HnRM