Sharing my photographic enthusiasm

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Hello everyone
Well, this is my review of the Sony E 55-210mm 4.5-6.3 lens. or the SEL55210.
I review it my style, if you looking for charts, pixel peeps and all, this is not the right review for you; I just share my experiences with it.

So here is the lens I'm talking about

  • It's an E mount telephoto lens, going from 55 to 210 mm.
  • The focus ring and zoom ring are made out of plastic, but it feels durable.
  • It works on all the Sony NEX cameras, the newer, A5000, A6000 and even the full frame A7 and A7r (in crop mode)
  • It's relatively cheap 340 USD.
  • That lens is relatively small, well, not so much...It's looks huge on the NEX bodies; but decent compared to the canon or nikon lenses with similar focal ranges.
Mounted on the NEX F3 at 55mm
Mounted on the NEX F3 at 210mm. Kinda looks funny
  • I love the circular lens hood. I always have it on. And I never had unwanted flares wih it.
  • The lens is not heavy.
  • Some people use it for nature, wild stuff, birds and all. I happen to use it for portrait,and flowers it works well and creates a rather pleasing bokeh.
You said bokeh? This is one of the first shot I took wih it. Unedited raw. 

  • The autofocus is not the fastest and not the slowest. it's alright. Screw it, it's good.
  • That lens sucks in low light, straight up. At dusk, the autofocus is slow, sometimes it might take 1 to 2 seconds to focus on the subject; which is tooooo much. I use it in manual focus when I feel there's not enough light, always. I never use indoor by the way.
  • People will come and ask you about it, because it's weird how it looks so long on those NEX bodies. I got used to it.
  • I always get some vignetting that is easily removable in lightroom with lens correction. I might be crazy, but it creates good vignettes (it's subtle) that I rarely remove in post processing.
  • If you want a telephoto for your NEX or now alpha camera, don't hesitate. For that price range, you can't beat it. Just know that it is not good in low light.
  • Oh, It's has OSS (stabilization) which is a huge advantage with telephoto lenses. you get less blurred shots.
@ 126 mm

this was shot at 210 mm, I rarely shoot it at 210
Probably the only indoor shot I took with it.the light was good though

Both shot at 117mm iso 400 f/5.6. The one above has no correction. The one below I applied the lens correction.

The vignette is subtle as you can see. I rarely correct it when I take portraits with this lens.


OK. Overall I like this lens for the price it has 340 USD. I really hate how it performs in low light.
I will soon move up to a full frame sensor, probably the A7. I will keep this lens. It does the job.
I don't use it everyday, but it's good to carry, just in case. When used well, it give you some fantastic images.If you only have a kit lens, i recommend this sel55210 to you, it will give you a different perspective on your day to day shots.
I'll post more portraits that I took wih it soon.
That's it.

Compared to the 18-55 kit lens (right).


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Disclaimer

All content except noted photos copyright © HnRM, Roger Marc All rights reserved. PLEASE ASK PERMISSION BEFORE RE-PRINTING OR RE-POSTING CONTENT. FAIR USE QUOTATIONS AND LINKS DO NO REQUIRE PRIOR CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR. Any images or videos not listed as mine are copyright to their respective owners and were used under creative common license or fair use standards. © HnRM